Follistatin 344 (FST-344) description
Follistatin (FST) is a secreted glycoprotein that was first identified as a folliclestimulating hormone inhibiting substance in ovarian follicular fluid (1, 2). Human Follistatin cDNA encodes a 344 amino acid (aa) protein with a 29 aa signal sequence, an Nterminal atypical TGF binding domain, three Follistatin domains that contain EGFlike and kazallike motifs, and a highly acidic Cterminal tail. Follistatin is a secreted protein that binds to ligands of the TGF-Beta family and regulates their activity by inhibiting their access to signaling receptors. It was originally discovered as activin antagonists whose activity suppresses expression and secretion of the pituitary hormone FSH (follicle stimulating hormone). In addition to being a natural antagonist, follistatin can inhibit the activity of other TGF-Beta ligands including BMP-2,-4,-6,-7, Myostatin, GDF-11, and TGF-Beta1. Follistatin is expressed in the pituitary, ovaries, decidual cells of the endometrium, and in some other tissues. Recombinant human Follistatin is a 37.8 kDa protein containing 344 amino acids.
Follistatin-344 inhibits Myostatin (GDF-8)
Isoform Follistatin-344 is able preferentially suppress the effects of Myostatin – Follistatin 344 is potent inhibitor of Myostatin. Myostatin (GDF-8) is a myokine released by myocytes and a member of the TGF beta family of proteins, that acts on the autocrine function of muscle cells and Myostatin inhibits the growth and differentiation of muscle cells. Human myostatin with a total molecular weight of 25.0 kDa consists of 2 identical subunits, each containing 109 amino acid residues.
Follistatin-344 benefits and effects
- Follistatin-344 promotes muscle growth, strength and performance
- Follistatin-344 does have very strong anabolic & anti-catabolic effect
- Follistatin-344 is also able very effective prevents muscle loss
- Follistatin-344 support body fat burning – weight loss
- Follistatin-344 plays beneficial role in some different types of cancer
Follistatin-344 possible side effects
- Follistatin-344 may play negative role in some types of cancers
- Follistatin-344 causes significant pain, swelling and irritation at the injection site
- Follistatin-344 often increased body temperature at the beginning of use
- Follistatin-344 may cause feeling of warmth and heat (at the beginning of use)
Optimal dose of Follistatin-344 is often reported as 100 mcg of Follistatin-344 daily but no longer as 12-14 days.